Thursday, July 4, 2013

Act 1 - Year 1881

JANEY – W. MORRIS – ROSSETTI – GEORGIE B-J – NED B-J
We are at Kelmscott Manor.
Janey, Georgie and Ned are seated in a living room. Georgie and Jane are bored playing cards in the background, Georgie is winning. Ned is drawing a sketch. Parlour maid busies herself in and out.
GEORGIE
Janey, where is that talented daughter of yours these days?
JANEY
Having reached 18 years of age now, she's attending the the South Kensington Art School.
GEORGIE
She has always been artistic. Has she chosen a special subject?
JANEY
Yes, embroidery.
GEORGIE
That is hardly surprising, as she has seen you threading many needles, bringing Webb's designs to life. Surely she will be first in her class. May I enquire about Jenny?
JANEY
Ah, poor Jenny is causing anxiety again, you know how our hopes rise and fall...
GEORGIE
She is fortunate to have two parents that love her, with the means to find her the best doctors. Love and medicine; there is your hope for a cure. How is your health today? We always wonder about your health.
JANEY
Rather poor, I'm afraid, my back doesn't permit ordinary activity and my head aches, though not as acutely as it did yesterday.
GEORGIE, putting a card down
Let us hope that it improves tomorrow. Ah! I believe that's another win for me... dear, you must be distracted! You need some rest.
Morris walks in with some plans
MORRIS
Ned! It's time to rouse you from rest! It will be well worth your while. Here I have your preliminary drawings for the
stained glass windows in colour, I am certain you'll want to have a second look before we make them into blueprints.
NED (putting his sketch pad down)
Let's see! What are these?
MORRIS
I brought some new wallpaper designs for your perusal as well, but for later. The stained glass is right here.
NED
This must be one of your best wallpaper, very impressive You've expressed so much with just two colors, this will be splendid on a large scale.

Did you notice the rabbit?
MORRIS
Did you notice the rabbit?
NED
Rabbit? Where? Oh! Here! Oh my, the creature is so well integrated in the pattern you can't tell it is there! So clever! Ah, yes! The stained glass is here.
MORRIS
That is one more step to improve on the ugliness and unfairness of our civilization... but to what end... sometimes we just keep working.
NED
Great first impression!
MORRIS
I have told you before, your drawings are sublime, I will see to it that we do it justice. I don't know what I would do without your assistance with the figures.
NED
... oh yes, the vines are striking! You, my friend, are the master of greenery. I like them, I like them very much.
MORRIS
Thank you. As you see, for the main window, I envision a scheme of traditional,medieval, primary colours, with much red and white, and cobalt instead of copper to match the bold trim in the church. What do you think?
NED
As you have it here, the result would be very striking. This is a lot of red, the client agreed to the additional expense?
MORRIS, laughing
The expense is included! The moment I was appraised of the church's extensive roof of red gables, and red interior wall tiles, I knew I would have to include miles upon miles of the very best red glass in that quote. Besides, I'm not including much silver stain on account of the distance the viewers will have form the windows. More of this, less of that.
NED
Could we unify the smaller windows with that nice olive green glass from Germany, and juxtapose them with the daring colours?
MORRIS
Yes, let us do that. Do the figures as usual, and I'll mind some foliage in the background.
MORRIS, looking at Ned's drawing
What are you drawing now? Ned, I didn't know you fancied yourself in such ostentatious haberdashery! I see you've drawn me all frumpy and having annexed considerable dirt!
NED
The sign of a hard-working man! No time to tidy up – no use for tidying up. As for me, this is a most accurate depiction of my noble self in its finest costume, ready for the Queen to call. Why, you must know I would never deny our beloved Monarch the honour of knighting me! Does not “Edward Burne-Jones” beg for a “Sir” ahead of it?
GEORGIE
Upon my word, if I were to hear anyone utter “Lady Burne-Jones” with reference to me, I would blush to a rich shade of crimson, and pretend to be deaf. I abhor those conventions that choke society into immutable layers, the uppermost of which is assumed to possess hereditary superiority over the toiling masses.
NED
Don't worry Georgie, you know I would stubbornly refuse. No amount of persuasion could lead to Queen Vic prevailing on me!. Why I... I should bash her fat bottom with her sceptre... and probably bend it beyond recognition!
MORRIS, laughing
I should hope that such a glorified title would not keep you from condescending to mingle with us medieval Barbarians, Ned!
NED
My dear Topsy, I shall never think of you a Barbarian, as I do believe you were once seen in some board meeting with a top hat.
MORRIS
I quite vividly recall putting that hat on a chair and squarely sitting on it when I resigned the appointment.
GEORGIE
I would pay admission to see our Topsy in a top hat.
MORRIS
I would wager that you'll sooner see your own husband in a top hat, than me.
GEORGIE
(Leaving Janey to sit with next to Morris.)
A top hat performance from him would be worth little more than a twopence; but from you, a pound!
JANEY
(Janey picks up a blue book – The Tragedies of Aeschylus. Literally Translated, by Theodore Alois Buckley - , and lies lazily on a sofa propping herself up with pillows)
NED
There will be no occasion to wear too hats. We all know that if Fat Vicky does call any one of us, it will be to administer a royal whipping!
MORRIS
I have as little use for her whip as I have for her knighthoods. I have spent, I know, a vast amount of time designing furniture and wallpapers, carpets and curtains; but after all I am inclined to think that sort of thing is mostly rubbish, and I would prefer for my part to live with the plainest whitewashed wall and wooden chairs and tables – as long as I have plentiful tackle and fishing line.
NED
I remember a time when you held quite a contrary opinion - on the matter of decoration of course, not of fishing, your devotion to fishing is one of the most reliable constant in your temperament.
MORRIS
The opinions vary, the facts are unchanging. Once, everybody that made anything derived pleasure from crafting a useful piece of goods, and to enhance it with art. Art, art is the one certain solace of labour. Nowadays, the dull squalor of civilization is settling down on the world, like a dense fog on the pleasures of the eyes. Factory production has stripped the production of utilitarian objects from its prideful origins and is quite devoid of humanity.
NED
A sobering thought indeed – but we know there is hope for improvement.
MORRIS
Yes! The seeds of a great change have been sown among the ruins of this filthy civilization, a genuine Social-Revolution. Ned, I see all around me, the seeds are beginning to germinate. Frail at first, but I have faith the seedlings will grow strong.
GEORGIE
We have to be relentless in our efforts.
MORRIS
It was my good luck to have been born respectable and rich, and my good luck that put me in this house along the Thames, among delightful books, cherished works of art and very dear friends, rather than in London's cheapside with its shrieks, drink-steeped liquor shops, and foul and degraded lodgings.
NED
Sometimes, when the cause experiences a setback, I feel that there is too much beauty here at Kelmscott Manor to be vexed by such trifles.
MORRIS
Trifles? Nothing can argue me out of this feeling ... the contrasts of rich and poor are unendurable and ought not to be endured by either rich or poor.
GEORGIE
Well said.
MORRIS
Indeed, I hope for a good turn toward the abasement of the rich and the raising up of the poor, till people can at last rub out from their dictionaries altogether those dreadful words, “rich” and “poor.” No one man can change the world, but we are now many, spread out in many countries.
NED
One mind at a time, Topsy, one mind at a time!
The doorbell rings, the parlour maid answers the door.
MORRIS
Who could that be? We are not expecting anyone beyond our current company.
NED
Perhaps a neighbour is running out of ale and comes to borrow!
PARLOR MAID
Mr Rossetti, Sir.
Only Ned and Janey stand to greet Rossetti, Ned walks to him. Janey sits back down.
jane burden morris, william morris, dante gabriel rossetti, georgiana burne-jones, ned burne-jones
Shall I remind him that I revoked his co-tenancy on Kelmscott Manor years ago?

MORRIS, to Georgie
Shall I remind him that I revoked his co-tenancy on Kelmscott Manor years ago?
GEORGIE
(nods negatively)
NED
Gabriel! To what do we owe the pleasure? Is Hall Caine accompanying you?
ROSSETTI
Good afternoon Ned, Janey...
JANEY
Good afternoon.
ROSSETTI
...everyone; I apologize for arriving unannounced, you must understand that only grievous concern would compel me to make my way here at once, risking to find the house closed.
NED
Has someone died?
ROSSETTI
As of yet... no. I reckon I became cunning in my desperation to escape Hall Caine's constant spying and machinations. I left London this morning, when he thought I was still sleeping, with nothing but the clothes I was wearing so as not to arouse suspicion with luggage. He has agents everywhere; they couldn't be identified by their dress, or their age, or their gender, but their behaviour gave them away. They had those sly, sly looks! They were relaying each other, silently and stealthy as snakes...
NED
Gabriel, Gabriel, please, sit here. Hear me: there is no man more worthy of trust than Hall Caine. Is he not taking care of your affairs and your health?
ROSSETTI
He is taking care of my affairs, to satisfy some dark and impenetrable motives. Did you know he brings me doctors constantly, and they whisper, or speak in the other room. You must help me! I am sure he is lying to everyone.
NED
Settle down, old friend, you are trembling like a leaf.
The parlour maid is preparing tea and and sets cucumber sandwiches on the table.
MORRIS, somewhat angry
Why don't know we give him some whiskey? Annie please bring our “guest” some whiskey.
ROSSETTI
Thank you, that would be most calming. (The maid brings the drink, Rossetti drinks half the glass). Have you heard the latest on Swinburne, our dear little Northumbrian friend?
NED
I do miss Swinburne's prodigious prodigality with words! Is Watts still keeping him under lock and key over at the Pines?
ROSSETTI (taking a sandwich)
For nearly two years now. Watts still has control of Swinburne's purse, one can suppose that Watts is protecting his investment after paying off Swinburne's creditors like a stern headmaster. I am pleased to report that Watts' sequestration appears to have succeeded in curing him from his frightful propensity to drink to oblivion, but no amount of punishment seems to have cured him of his love of the birch rod.
MORRIS, shouting out to Ned
Swinburne should have been entertained by our earlier conversation about royal whippings!
ROSSETTI
I quite believe that Watts is keeping us all away from him! Hall Caine won't let me call on him, saying that Swinburne won't have me! But I don't believe a word. He is conniving with Watts to keep us apart. Watts thinks my company, and the company of all of you here, may endanger Swinburne's strict abstinence regimen – we may influence him into some scandalous excesses.
MORRIS, shouting out
Have you considered that Watts might be protecting Swinburne from you?.
GEORGIE, to Morris
Shhhhh....
NED
Watts fears that
we may influence Swinburne? To be fair, I have heard of this as well. Oh dear, of all my friends, Swinburne is the most liable to boast of such excesses whether they have occurred or not, just of the pleasure of astounding his audience! I can conceive of very little that he would not do or say to produce effect!
ROSSETTI
I warned Swinburne about these parody letters he's been sending his circle of friends... they will give rise to endless generations of biographers and scribblers looking for weeds on his grave. I shudder to think his memory be so degraded by philistines.
NED
I treasure these letters from Swinburne, I shall never be of a mind to burn them. Never.
ROSSETTI
Plucky little man... he replied to my request with a promise that, if public opinion was scandalous to his satisfaction in life, he would not fret about public opinions in the afterlife... and that he would be a smidgen too dead to care.
NED
It is no surprise that you failed to prevail upon him; he once wrote to me that “if we are to be shackled in our correspondence with our closest friends by the fear of future vermin, we may as well resign all thought of fun an confidence, at once.”
ROSSETTI
He refuses to be reasoned with. Sadly, the disagreement led to a falling out. To think we were once room mates and the affection we lavished on each other for fifteen years, at least... now old Swinburne thinks me an unmanly deserter.
Rossetti finishes the whiskey along with a vial of chloral from his pocket.
NED
Gabriel, ingesting this much chloral can't be good for your health.
ROSSETTI, accusingly
Such false concern. As we are both aware, this conspiracy is orchestrated by Buchanan, the supreme mastermind, and using Hall Caine as his tool, to crush my fair name as a man, and as an artist. I am being aggressively hounded out of honest society. I didn't know you were a member of Buchanan's cabal, Ned. I swear, until this moment, I did not know. Morris must have corrupted you.
MORRIS
I did corrupt him! I confess.
GEORGIE
Hush...
NED
No, William...
ROSSETTI, overturning his empty glass accidentally
I lost all sensations in my arm, it is completely numb... what did you put in this whiskey? You poisoned it!
MORRIS
We'll gladly bring you a second help...
GEORGIE
Shhhh...
ROSSETTI
The sandwiches, the sandwiches, too!
MORRIS (stands up, very angrily takes the sandwiches and empties the plate out the window)
You may thank Georgie's pleas for this show of mercy on you! See? No more poison!
ROSSETTI
I made a tremendous mistake showing up here tonight – you... Hall Caine.. you are all agents of Buchanan... who knows everything, everything, therefore, you must know everything too...
GEORGIE
Oh Gabriel, no, you are among old friends and we wish to protect you from any harm.
ROSSETTI (to Georgie only)
He will not give me any rest until he sees me laying in a coffin.
GEORGIE
You are tormenting yourself unnecessarily. No one here or anywhere cares about Buchanan's despicable critic of your poems, or anyone's poems.
ROSSETTI (to Georgie only)
Georgie, his critic of my poems are the outward manifestation of a far more sinister plan. It is like an ant hill... you see an entrance, and a few ants, but below the surface is a complex subterranean network of tunnels and chambers...
GEORGIE
But that Buchanan critic was years ago, nothing has happened since.. why would he persecute you?
ROSSETTI (to Georgie only)
He is of a mind to punish me.
GEORGIE
Buchanan has not stalked you for years for writing poems he does not fancy much. If he had such a habit, there would be no poet left in all of England, except a few very dull ones.
ROSSETTI (to Georgie only)
Georgie, this goes beyond the poems. Buchanan knows, his agents know, and I know that his intent is to castigate me into exile for having... it pains me to utter the words... for having exhumed dear Lizzie's ... coffin... to retrieve the poems I had buried with her.
GEORGIE
There cannot be more than 5 or 6 people that know of this and Buchanan is not among them. Please, breathe slowly, like this. He doesn't even know... we have kept your secret. No one knows.
ROSSETTI, looking towards an indifferent Janey, speaking more softly
He does know. He is also punishing me for loving a woman more than any other creature in the world... for this he wants to destroy me! He is a terrifying enemy, hunting me to death, every day! His spies have perforated every wall, everything I do, everything I say is known to his co-conspirators!
MORRIS, to the parlour maid
Annie, please send for Hall Caine in London, at once. Appraise him that Rossetti, is here and safe for the night, and to come and fetch him at once.
MAID
Right away, Sir.
NED, to Morris
Topsy, shall I take our guest to one of the bedrooms upstairs?
MORRIS
Can you manage?
NED, nodding
Come up, Gabriel, you need to rest. Do you still trust Janey is not an agent of Buchanan?
ROSSETTI
Janey...
NED
Janey, won't you come with us? He might be soothed by your presence.
ROSSETTI
Where is my chloral? Did someone take my chloral?
NED
Your provisions of chloral bulge through your jacket, my friend, you have enough chloral.
ROSSETTI, leaving the room with Ned and Janey
I must have it to sleep, Buchanan's agents keep me awake... only the chloral brings me peace, and sleep. Ned you must help support me! My leg is numb now!
NED
Here, put your arm around my shoulders.
ROSSETTI
Thank you, thank you. How is your health, Janey?
JANEY (on their way out)
Quite poorly, but improving in some ways...
Ned, Janey and Rossetti leave the room
MORRIS, to Georgie
Is he really ill, or only acting to keep those around him in suspense?
GEORGIE
We have seen too little of him in the past few years to make an accurate assessment of his health.
MORRIS
I regret my burst of anger. His illness is worse than the reports suggest – he has gone quite mad. Yet, we are all in his debt... he taught us so much about art, painting, poetry... he was the sun, we were mere planets. His heart, his heart...
GEORGIE
Ned always says: “when Rossetti loves a man or woman, they know it.”
MORRIS
How true.
GEORGIE
I'm afraid he is not long for this world. He has already attempted to hasten his own demise with an overabundance of chloral – though his friends saved him, and helped him recover some health, he now merely appears to carry on his march to the pine box with a slower, wavering stride, chloral in hand.
MORRIS
One could not divine, when we were young and vigorous, what would become of some of us.
GEORGIE
Kelmscott Manor is as beautiful and lively a place as ever. I understand your business is doing well.
MORRIS (noise is heard from the bedroom)
Ah, yes. I've got clergymen demanding silk and gold altar clothes when thousands are in want of food...
GEORGIE
This inexcusable extravagance should call for an additional charge!
MORRIS
It does! It does! But a monetary penalty is paltry persuasion on the impenitent pulpit beaters. I will try writing a long and tedious reprimand next time opportunity knocks.
GEORGIE
Aye, the clergy. Here is a category that ought to suffer listening to sermons, rather than administer them.
MORRIS
I may deserve a few homilies myself, it is a truth that I have spent my life ministering to the swinish luxury of the rich! For myself, I'd like to live in one great room; eat here, sleep there, work in that corner, talk to friends in that other corner.
MORRIS, checking that they are alone
How are you, Georgie?
GEORGIE
(shrugs, looks away)
MORRIS
You must trust that I can keep a secret. A true and tested fact.
GEORGIE
You are the very best friend one could ask for. However, I am loathe to hear my own self complaining. It does the soul no good at all. How is Janey's health?
MORRIS
As always. I never know if it is real or not. I have a notion that the complaints are a kind of refuge from...
GEORGIE
From?
MORRIS
I do not know. That is enough about me – I feel there is something you want to say.
GEORGIE (banging is heard upstairs)
I console myself with the thought that there is love enough between Edward and I to last out a long life – one should hope, for I was but a girl of 15 when we were engaged. In my darkest moments, I am despondent with the knowledge that he squanders much of this affection on...
MORRIS
... I know, I know.
GEORGIE
Have no worry, he is always kind to me.
MORRIS
As Janey is to me. The... uhm... played itself out.
GEORGIE, sighing
Alas! The moment one source of sorrow is played out, there is another waiting. Aside from some rather unfortunate, public embarrassment... that got every tongue in London in a frenzy, one must carry on and sort out the accomplishments from the trifles.
MORRIS
Oh Georgie...
GEORGIE
We are both still standing, are we not?
MORRIS
I ought to model myself after you, Georgie, and repel those moods that come upon me. Perhaps these doldrums would come upon me just the same, regardless of that failure of mine.
GEORGIE
It is not
your failure. I do not believe that this failure is yours.
MORRIS
You are very kind.
GEORGIE
Never forget: our petty, inner sentiments die along with our mortal envelope. Meanwhile, there exist foundations of art, history and society that transcend our intimate circumstances. We ought to never lose sight of life's greater goals, such as the levelling of the classes into a community of equals.
MORRIS
When one is deprived of that one thing wanting, and is denied affection, forfeiting one's personal satisfaction for the greater good has reduced merit.
GEORGIE
Whatever the motive... we call it the “greater good” for a reason. I understand Janey is not fond of your new proletarian friends...
MORRIS
She finds something to occupy herself when they assemble at the house, a good thing I suppose. She's not much fond of Kelmscott, upon the whole... but she is invaluable in selling tickets for my lectures on architectural preservation, even the dreadful, tiresome ones on, ah! pattern design!
Ned and Janey are heard coming back, Georgie and Morris force themselves to laugh.
NED
I quite believe Morpheus will be his guardian until sunrise.
JANEY, going back to lie on the couch with her book
I have quite given up on him.
NED
Topsy, Janey and I are much disappointed that we missed out on a great source of merriment!
MORRIS, acting out the story for comical effect
It's an old story that I repeat upon especial request. I was just relating to Georgie how I was dyeing some tapestry wool a few years ago, yes, I was on the brink of getting a very nice yellow out of poplar twigs, which cannot recommend on account of it not being permanent, though very sharp and clear. I had raised my sleeves and my arms were deep in the dye vat when Annie rushed in to warn me that someone had come calling. I got very impatient, stomped my feet, and shouted out: “can't you see I'm dyeing? I'm dyeing!” The poor girl ran off and it wasn't before long that everyone had hurried out to bear witness to my demise... Thomas had come so fast, a scrubbing brush in hand... I though, good grief, is that what it would take for me to get a good cleaning?
NED
I never tire of this story! Ah, Tops, you'll always be my favourite. They should bury us together, along with the wives. Had our paths never crossed, I would take myself much too seriously... and be thought of as an insufferable pedant!
MORRIS
(laughs, and turns a little sad) And I, I would be a very lonely man... you and Georgie... are my pillars.
MORRIS & NED & GEORGIE
(raising pretend glasses) To friendship!
GEORGIE, to Janey
Well, that was an unexpectedly eventful evening. Are you still reading Aeschylus'
JANEY
I am.
GEORGIE
Where are you at?
JANEY
Here. See?
GEORGIE
Splendid! Do read out for Cassandra, I shall read out the chorus. Let's entertain the gentlemen.
MORRIS
A chorus? You shall need another!
JANEY, sighs a little
The prophet Apollo appointed me to the office of foretelling.
GEORGIE & MORRIS
What! Was he, a god, smitten with a passion for you?
JANEY
Yes. Heretofore, I was ashamed to tell this tale.
GEORGIE & MORRIS
Aye, for every one that is very prosperous, grows delicate.
JANEY
But he was an eager suitor, breathing strong love for me.
GEORGIE & MORRIS & NED
Did you even meet in wedlock?
JANEY
Having consented, I deceived him.
GEORGIE & NED
Wast thou already possessed of inspired love?
JANEY
I was, even then, predicting all their sufferings to my countrymen.
GEORGIE & NED
How then wast thou unscathed by the wrath of Loxias?
JANEY
I used to win no one's credence in anything, after I had committed this trespass...
GEORGIE, coughing
...cough, cough! I need water!
NED
Georgie has got a cough, Topsy has quite lost his voice, and Cassandra the failed to prophesy the doom of the chorus!
JANEY, bored, closing the book
We should be glad, this translation is a very tedious read.

No comments:

Post a Comment